We’ve made plenty of paper flowers out of colored paper and old catalogs, but we recently found a new material that creates wonderfully frilly petals, perfect for these paper flower pins. Our new paper ribbon has a fun texture and comes in lovely colors. Layering fuchsia and pool, we created these festive flowers with a few cuts and folds, held together by floral wire and floral tape.
Add a safety pin for one of a kind boutonnières, or use them as package toppers, on napkin rings, and as playful decorations.
1. For both colors, fold 3 1/2″ lengths of paper ribbon back and forth 8 times accordion style. Use Diagram A from How to PDF to cut out shape through all layers.
2. Cinch and gather fuchsia petals and pool petals at their centers (Diagram B). Layer fuchsia petals on top of pool petals in a tight bunch (Diagram C).
3. Cut floral wire in half. Using half of the wire, place petal bunch at center of wire and cross and wrap wire twice around (Diagram D).
4. Fan and fluff petals upward arranging into a flower shape (Diagram E).
5. Wrap exposed wire with floral tape beginning at the base of the flower. Cut to desired length (optional).
6. Place open safety pin along length of stem near base of flower and wrap in place with floral tape, creating flare for your outfit!